Wilmer "Bill" Swartley

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Feb 26 21:35:11 EST 2013

On 2/26/2013 8:37 PM, Donna Halper wrote:
> Just found out that Wilmer Swartley, former GM at WBZ for many years,
> died on 23 January at age 104.  I didn't know that he had passed-- I
> don't recall seeing any obits.  He was an amazing guy, and totally sharp
> until the end.  When we honored him several years ago at the Mass.
> Broadcasters Hall of Fame, people were stunned at how much he remembered
> and how much of a repository of information he was.  He will be missed.

Turns out there was a small notice in the Globe back on 1/31 that we all
missed:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/bostonglobe/obituary.aspx?pid=162729196

I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Swartley a few years back when he was
still living in a nursing home in Needham (right next door to channel 5!)

He was indeed an amazing gentleman, and the last link to a now gone era
of Westinghouse.