WBUR's L-O-N-G Station ID

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun Feb 24 02:51:05 EST 2013

<<On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 02:30:14 -0500, "Paul B. Walker, Jr." <walkerbroadcasting@gmail.com> said:

> "WCOP AM and FM Boston" would be legal, as I understand it.
> If an AM and FM station with the same exact call letters and same exact
> city of license are simulcasting, then "WCOP AM and FM Boston" would be
> legal.

Not according to 47 CFR 73.1201 it wouldn't.  It may have been back
when there was a WCOP and a WCOP-FM -- I haven't read the legal ID
rules from back then recently.  (At that time, there was a separate
legal ID rule for each service -- the rules common to all broadcast
services had not yet been consolidated.)

On the other hand, I doubt that the FCC would initiate an enforcement
action against a station for doing an improper legal ID these days, so
long as the station correctly identified their call sign and community
of license, and the extraneous "other insertions" were kept to a
minimum.

-GAWollman