Another amusing faux pas

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Sun Feb 24 00:26:27 EST 2013

This is a bit of a late reply because I just came back from a cruise on a
DIFFERENT ship.
We did however watch this story in real time as the ship had satellite fed
Fox news.

Although the ships are of foreign registry, they are not completely free of
safety regulations.
Our ship was registered in the Bahamas, but all the safety equipment and
procedures on board
follow US Coast Guard regulations.   This would be needed in order for the
ship to sail and
dock in US waters and ports.

As for the Carnival Triumph, there was an engine fire and the
fire suppression systems quickly
extinguished it without further damage to the ship and without loss of life
or personal
injury.  Unfortunately, the ship's power is derived from the engine and
thus power on board
was limited with engine inoperative.

It does seems that it was stupid of the ship's designers to not have a more
adequate backup
power source - or at least to prioritize the ships sanitation system.
 However, I doubt the
safety regulations would be this extensive.  If they are found to be in
violation or
anything, Carnival will face penalties.  Those penalties may be the least
of their worries
as this point in time.

I'm not a fan of Carnival, but keep in mind that through their corporation
brand "Carnival"
and a multitude of other cruise lines that have bought, they have over 100
large cruise ships
currently in service.  What does that bumper sticker say?  s--t happens.
 In this case,
perhaps all too liternally.

-Bob