"Boston's Real Jazz" WZBR 1410 on air

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Dec 26 10:06:55 EST 2013

I could be way wrong about the approximate straight-line distance from
WZBR's Readville site to my house in Arlington Heights (I've been using 10
miles as the approximate distance), but even if 10 miles is way wrong, the
distance from Readville to Arlington Heights has gotta be way greater than
the distance from Readville to any point in Dorchester. If WZBR's signal in
Dorchester is sometimes unlistenable and the station was using its permitted
(610W) daytime power at the times when the signal in Dorchester was reported
to be unlistenable, it seems unlikely that the poor signal could be blamed
on anomalous ground conditions between Readville and Arlington.

However, if the poor signal in Dorchester were the result of (say) testing
the 30W nighttime signal during daylight hours, it could explain the reports
of unlistenable signals in both Dorchester and Arlington. I guess we need to
wait until a license to cover has been granted to see whether the signal
improves.

Also, Langer has a history of increasing the power of his new stations based
on measured soil conductivity. If the 610W power was based on the FCC's M-3
soil-conductivity maps, he may well be planning to apply for a power
increase after he receives a license and measures the signal strength along
critical radials (such as those between Readville and Wellington Circle).

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367