Montreal AM moves to 980 from 990

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Thu Dec 5 13:47:45 EST 2013

WOFX-NY primarily and WTEM-DC secondarily (with WILK-PA, Cuba,
Colombia, and Brazil in descending order) already make it a mess for
WCAP on their fringe many nights.  There is also a 1 kHz beat note
(heterodyne) from an Algerian station on 981; this is quite loud in the
early evening at coastal sites such as Cape Ann.

Based on all of the existing interference, the Montreal station
probably isn't going to move the NIF number very much.

In the '60s, CKGM was on 980 and most of the time then-WTRY now-WOFX
had the stronger night signal where I was living in Arlington.  You
could get mainly one or the other by careful portable radio
positioning.  WCAP at that time was daytime only.

Mark Connelly
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
The CRTC today approved CHRF's request to move from 990 to 980 ( It
inherited the old CKGM slot when that station moved to 690.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2013/2013-648.htm

http://blog.fagstein.com/2013/12/04/crtc-approves-chrf-frequency-change/

I don't think this will impact WCAP too much.