WKFY, WJIB, old British pop, etc.

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Fri Aug 30 19:30:41 EDT 2013

<<On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:44:53 -0400 (EDT), Mark Connelly <markwa1ion@aol.com> said:

> Additionally WORC Worcester was playing the likes of Cliff Richard,
> Helen Shapiro, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Matt Monro, Shadows / Jet
> Harris & Tony Meehan, and other British entertainers as far back as
> '61.  I think that one of their DJ's had the idea that a British
> Invasion was on the horizon and had records sent over.

It wouldn't be the first time that had happened.  Much earlier, during
the early 1940s musicians strike, WNEW's Martin Block had new records
shipped over from Britain so that he could play new music on his show
(since no new records were being made in the U.S.).  The AFM
leadership ordered the station's house orchestra to strike in
retaliation.  (Vocalists were not represented by the AFM and continued
to record, but without accompaniment; some authorities credit the
strike for the rise of vocalists to top billing over the bands they
had formerly sung for.)

-GAWollman