WKFY

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Thu Aug 22 11:03:25 EDT 2013

No one really expects WJIB or WJTO to play harder '50s / early '60s rock like Chuck Berry, Little Richard, "Speedo" (Cadillacs), "At My Front Door" (El Dorados), louder Elvis, etc.  It just doesn't fit the overall concept and that's fine.

But there should be a good-signal station somewhere in eastern MA that does play kicked-up oldies that remind us of movies like "American Graffiti" and "Grease", of '57 Chevys, of Harley and Indian motorcycles, waxed up surfboards, malt shops, drive-in movies, state fairs with fireworks, the Sox when Ted Williams was playing, and so on.  Even people too young to remember the first decade of rock 'n' roll like to escape to the feelings that go with the period, as idealized (and sometimes silly) as those may be, as an antidote to the stresses and impersonal aspects of modern life.  Bob's format and a harder oldies format can live side by side and would alternately be "dipped into" by members of the same audience.  And not all of them would be 50+ either.

I listened to WKFY and it seems as though a bit more pre-Beatles gold is showing up in the mix.  Maybe someone there is reading this list.

Mark Connelly
South Yarmouth, MA

-----Original Message-----
From: Jibguy <Jibguy@aol.com>
To: markwa1ion <markwa1ion@aol.com>; gary <gary@garysicecream.com>
Cc: boston-radio-interest <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Thu, Aug 22, 2013 1:37 am
Subject: Re: WKFY

In a message dated 8/21/2013 12:11:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, markwa1ion@aol.com writes:
WJIB and   WJTO do OK with what they cover, but sometimes more R&B / rock in the mix   would be better.  That would include Chuck Berry, various doo-wop groups,   and classic pre-rockers like "Sixty Minute Man".

Actually WJIB and WJTO play "60-Minute Man" on relatively low rotation, but no Chuck Berry. And I am adding in more doo-wop songs, but they won't hit the 730/740 airwaves for a few more months.  Chuck Berry is just too rough around the edges for a station playing a lot of Patti Page, Doris Day, Carpenters, Sinatra, Glenn Miller, Beach Boys, Andrews Sisters, etc.

---jibguy.