WKFY

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Aug 21 00:22:11 EDT 2013

<<On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 00:00:11 -0400 (EDT), Mark Connelly <markwa1ion@aol.com> said:

> Radio exec's follow what I would call "too vanilla" programming
> concepts.  Dull and predictable with few jaw-dropping surprise cuts.

Because the target demo *doesn't like that*.  Those cuts are turn-offs
for most listeners.  Of course it's different obscure tracks for
different listeners, but a station can't afford *everyone* tuning out.

You are displaying classic rock-snobbism, I'm afraid.  Just because
music geeks like being surprised, it does not follow that Jane
Background Listener wants to hear that in the coffee shop or on her
drive to the supermarket -- particularly if it takes the music out of
the realm of "pleasant background noise" and demands that she pay
attention to it.

-GAWollman