WKFY

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Aug 20 22:54:04 EDT 2013

<<On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 20:52:45 -0400, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> I think both Mark's and Garrett's points are quite valid ones. Whitburn
> represents one piece of the larger airplay puzzle, but tends not to
> include the harder rock that would have been a staple on the WBCN and
> WCOZ playlists of the era (and on Mark's playlist even now.)

Which makes perfect sense because the Hot 100 was still at that time
based on sales of singles in record stores, and the sort of stuff WBCN
et al. were playing back then was called "album rock" for a reason.
(Many of those tracks didn't even fit on a single, notwithstanding the
"Dylan extension" to six minutes per side.)

It appears that Billboard didn't start monitoring airplay for an
"Album Rock Tracks" chart until 1981, well after the period we were
discussing.  (I believe they did have a Rock Albums chart that goes
back far enough, but at least the advertisement in the back of my
Whitburn "Top 10 Singles Charts" volume doesn't mention any
compilations of those charts.)

-GAWollman