More changes at WERS

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Aug 20 01:04:25 EDT 2013

On 8/19/2013 11:51 PM, A Joseph Ross wrote:

> Are decisions like this made by student station staff or by faculty?

I'd say both, but while the students do have some input, it may be more
a decision of the faculty adviser & the administration than the
students.  When I was still at Emerson, there was a bit of a battle
going on about the future of WERS; for example, some in the
administration wanted WERS to play less controversial music, and they
tried several times to cancel rap & hip-hop programming, ostensibly
because of obscene lyrics and complaints from the alumnae (we were never
told who exactly complained). But hiring community members
(professionals) or changing/canceling programs would not be a decision
made by students, as far as I can tell.