Boston downtown radio towers (1956)

Linc Reed-Nickerson linc45r-n@lincster.com
Thu Sep 27 13:58:04 EDT 2012

I'll have to see if I can find an old aeronautical sectional chart to
confirm, but I believe that is the old Boston Low Frequency Radio Range
station.  Would have been between 200 and 500kHz.

Last CONUS radio ranges were gone by 1970, last one I remember was at
NAS Brunswick, ME.  The range stations were CW A or N if you were off
course, a solid tone if you were on one of the 4 courses.

Interesting piece of aviation  history.

Bit of trivia... Until about 1960 the Instrument Landing System outer
marker beacon at Hanscom was on 512 kHz, second harmonic (1024) could be
heard over WBZ withing about a mile of the station, CW call sign was BED.

Linc