nu-ku-lar

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Wed Sep 5 02:17:36 EDT 2012

<<On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 00:42:16 -0400, "Chris Hall" <chris2526@comcast.net> said:

> Just because some people mispronounce words it does not make it proper,

To the contrary; a new pronounciation becomes "proper" when enough
people change how they say things.  That's why we're not still
speaking Proto-Indo-European.  What is "proper" in language is defined
solely by the other people who use that language, and what they are
willing to accept.  The variant pronunciation of <nuclear> does not
seem to have made that leap, but the variant pronunciation of <triow>
very clearly has, to the point where we now spell it <tree> instead.

-GAWollman