WBIN-TV 18?

Ed Hennessy ehennessy@verizon.net
Thu Oct 25 07:38:51 EDT 2012

This is interesting, since in one of the systems in suburban New Haven (which my parents subscribed to back in 1976), the VHF channels were aligned with their on-air channels. Channels 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 13 were all on their same channels. I recall that HBO was on channel 6. Can't recall what was on 10 or 12, but it may have been one of the local UHF channels (20, 24, 30, 49, or 65), nor do I remember where WSBK and WLVI or the NYC UHFs went (we got at least 41 and 47, since I recall my dad watching "boxeo" many times).  Hartford's 18 and 61 were not on the air then.

Other than 10 and 12, all the other cable channels available would have had letter labels (remember those 12-button selectors with a 3-position switch on one end and a fine tuning knob on the other? ;-) I do recall that the town access/high school channel was channel S.

I'm not sure why they did it that way, since there was definitely egress (so ingress was possible)--I recall setting up a portable TV in a bedroom on an outside wall where the drop came down and finding a staticky picture on a channel that would not have been received over the air either at that distance or on that channel.  It stayed set up that way for many years, probably up until the AT&T Broadband timeframe (with at least 3 companies in between).

Ed Hennessy