850 runs loop in advance of split (to ESPN on AM)

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Thu Oct 4 13:28:16 EDT 2012

Bob Nelson <raccoonradio@mail.com> wrote:
>http://raccoonradio.freehostia.com/Air/850loop.mp3
>
>T http://raccoonradio.freehostia.com/Air/850loop.mp3 hat is the five minute or so loop WEEI 850 is now running in advance of the split to occur tomorrow morning at 6
>(though technically both 850 and 93.7 will have overnight ESPN programming). Response to the announcement on
>WEEI's facebook has some saying it's great but some others complain they can't quite get the 93.7 signal. It's
>explained the other stations like 103.7 in RI, 95.9 and 95.5 up in Maine, etc. should help. One person says she
>works at Logan and could get 850 but not 93.7. (Surprised a bit...I know there can be problems, but...)
>
>I explained why this is happening. One person asked why 93.7 is in mono and I said the signal's fringe areas will
>get little or no "drift" if it's in mono. I mentioned WNIR 100.1 in Akron OH does this (a talk station, and I believe one
>of their hosts is Bob Golic, brother of Mike Golic from "Mike and Mike" on ESPN Radio)
>
>The loop says 97.7 and 107.3's HD=2 signals will have regular WEEI; there are phone apps, etc.

One thing I haven't understood about this transition is WEEI gave *no notice* about 850 flipping to ESPN. Yes, we knew it, but even now, there is no mention of this on WEEI's homepage. The on-air branding is still confused, emphasizing the 93.7 frequency but still using 850 as a big part of its on-air persona (text number, local and 800 numbers). They could have moved the numbers over weeks ago.