FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai says it is time to rewrite rules for AM

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 02:57:20 EDT 2012

There is no longer a need for skywave signals. It pains me to type this but
it is true.

When I lived in Chicago in the 80's WBZ was my link home and near the lake
starting an hour before local sundown WBZ was the strongest AM signal in
the Loop.

Most of us recall fondly what after sunset radio meant 40 - 60 years ago.
The strongest AM signal in Cambridge in the late 60's at night was WPTR in
Albany.

That said - the power of the clear channel stations back in the 60's was
best shown the night *Roby Yonge went nuts about Paul being dead. *
*
*
*In Boston people started calling Steve Fredericks and Larry Glick saying
WABC is saying McCartney is dead. I was at WMEX that night and Steve said
'Well if WABC is going there, it is good enough for me.'*
*
*
*The harsh reality in the Boston market is WBZ-1030 keeps the AM band
alive. WRKO has Howie and little else.

*