RIP Jeff Kaye

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Nov 16 17:38:09 EST 2012

On 11/16/2012 5:26 PM, Mark Connelly wrote:
> Jeffy Kaye's Sunday evening "Hootenanny" show on WBZ (roughly
> 1963-1966) was an essential part of the soundtrack of my Arlington
> High School life, as well as of those of several classmates / friends.
> The show was one of the first places that featured the likes of Bob
> Dylan, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Jim Kweskin's Jug Band, Tom Rush, Mimi
> & Richard Farina, Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell, Dave Van Ronk,
> Chris Smithers, Mark Spoelstra, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Buffy
> Sainte-Marie, Odetta, and so many more.

He also played some great Ian and Sylvia songs (back when they were
still together); and then there was a non-folk song that sounded as if
it should have been-- by a group called Pearls Before Swine, "Another
Time"-- Jefferson played it and it became a local hit.  The leader of
the group, Tom Rapp, was shocked at how popular the song was thanks to
WBZ's airplay.  Jefferson was first to play an acoustic version of what
became a big favorite for Tom Rush, "Urge for Going," and Tom did a
special version of the song that Jefferson used as his outro, "On the
Road Again."