pirate query

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Sun May 27 23:16:04 EDT 2012

<<On Sun, 27 May 2012 21:54:36 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com> said:

> It is a political football now as there is NO legal radio voice for the
> 250,000 in Dorchester, Roxbury and Mattapan.

> I have no clue how to solve this problem.

There are numerous legal radio stations that reach that area, several
of which would be happy to lease the time.

Unfortunately, even under the new LPFM rules, there's no way to
squeeze one into Boston.  Framingham, on the other hand, could have a
102.9 LP100; one would probably cover at least 60% of the town's
population if built in the right place.  (I'm sure Scott has already
considered the possibility of building LPFMs in Rochester on 97.1,
97.3, 98.3, 98.5, 100.1, 100.9, 103.1, 104.3, and/or 106.3.)  Lowell
and Lawrence could have 94.9 or 98.1; Brockton could have 101.1 or
102.9.  Worcester could also fit that 102.9.  You could put a 99.9 up
in Woburn that would also serve a good chunk of Burlington,
Winchester, and Lexington.  New Bedford could have 97.7 or 99.5 (I
used the WCTK tower as the coordinate reference; apparently that meets
second-adjacent spacing for a 97.7 LP100).

I should seriously figure out who in Framingham ought to build that
102.9 and get them to apply for it.  I know enough people around here
who could do the engineering work.

-GAWollman