WFNX

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu May 24 15:57:01 EDT 2012

On 5/24/2012 10:51 AM, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> By claiming that he retains title to WFNX's intellectual property and
> call sign, Mindich reduces his cost basis in what he has sold. In
> other words, he increases his taxable capital gain and therefore his
> tax liability. Seems counter-productive to me. Can anyone think of a
> financial benefit that will accrue to Mindich as a result of this
> strategy?

Presumably he has some future plans for the intellectual property.   And
he may still own the call letters as a trademark, even if the FCC
assigns them to someone else.  Anyone in the Boston market who gets the
call letters would likely be sued by Mindich for trademark infringement
and unfair competition.  Kinda like what I said some years ago on "Let's
Talk About Radio,"  to the effect that if I decided to put a classical
music station on the air and call it WCRD, the FCC would issue the call
letters, but I still would be subject to suit from WCRB.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx: 617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com