Sherwood Tarlow

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Jun 24 13:55:48 EDT 2012

Scott wrote--
> I ran an obit in the March 19 NERW:
>
> http://www.fybush.com/nerw-31912-mega-consolidation-in-canadas-biggest-markets/

Glad you noticed.  Often, the Globe doesn't have obit writers who
recognize the names of some radio old-timers and unless we call and ask,
no obit runs.  I especially wanted to see a Globe obit (not the
Legacy.com site, which is usually tributes written by the family)
because it was the Globe's investigative unit, the Spotlight Team, that
did a multi-part series about his "work" as a probate judge, complete
with assertions of conflict of interest, funneling contracts to pals,
etc.  The media seemed reticent to go after him because he was also
known as quite the humanitarian, who gave large sums to charity, but the
Globe finally did take him on.  I wonder if that would have been
included in the obit.  I also wonder about his reputation as an owner--
I have vague recollections of the WHIL tower falling at one point in the
mid-1950s... or am I mis-remembering?