40 years ago - Boston became a 2 newspaper town

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Jun 23 01:08:17 EDT 2012

On 6/23/2012 1:01 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

>> Why were the Red Sox on channel 22 in Springfield when Hartford's
>> Channel 3 reaches all the way up the Pioneer Valley?
> Probably for local advertising sales.  Springfield being a smaller
> market, local advertisers would not want to pay more for a signal that
> primarily serves a state they don't.

OK, but why would anyone want to watch them on Channel 22 when Channel 3
had a better signal over most of Channel 22's coverage area?

One thing that might make it more worthwhile is if WRLP (channel 32 I
think) was in operation at that time and also carried the games (22 and
32 didn't always have the same programs, though the usually did).

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know what the call letters
WWLP and WRLP stood for?

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com