40 years ago - Boston became a 2 newspaper town

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:52:55 EDT 2012

The Herald 'helped' Joe Kennedy by giving their support to 'Profiles in
Courage' winning the Pulitzer. Joe in gratitude made some phone calls in
the H-T's favor.

The Herald even supported JFK in both 1958 (Senate) and 1960 (President)
but then with the license in hand considered the debt was paid.

The real problems began in 1961 when Teddy decided to run for Senator (
1962 election ) The Herald started a vicious smear campaign against Teddy
in late 1961 and there were factions in the family that believe that Joe's
stroke in December of 1961 was caused in part at his anger towards the H-T.