Globe: What happened to rock radio in Boston?

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Thu Jun 7 02:27:53 EDT 2012

On 6/6/2012 5:38 AM, Howard Glazer wrote:

> Paul<paul@derrynh.net>  wrote:
> Fernandes (I think Randolph MA was their northern-most store...bought out (that locale) by Sudbury Farms..
>
> ===
>
> If childhood memory serves me well, the now-vacant store on Revere Beach Pkwy. in Revere, across from Suffolk Downs' barn area, was once a Fernandes. It was most recently a Shaw's.

Ah, Fernandes.  I remember that Joseph Fernandes, owner of the
supermarket chain, was the Republican candidate for state Treasurer in
either 1964 or 1966.  There was an issue around his liquor licenses.  I
think there was a law at the time that went something like "no person,
directly or indirectly, or through a third person shall have more than
three such licenses in the commonwealth."  IIRC he, his wife, and his
company each had three licenses.  The controversy didn't die down any
when Attorney General Edward Brooke, fellow Republican, ruled that this
was OK.  Since the lesser Constitutional offices were being won
automatically by Democrats in those days, it didn't really matter anyway.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com