Globe: What happened to rock radio in Boston?

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psualum.com
Tue Jun 5 09:21:25 EDT 2012

Laurence Glavin writes:
> The Boston Globe prints an insert inside the print edition of the paper called
> the 'G' section (its predecessor was
> an insert on Thursdays only called "Calendar", but they wisely decided
> not to call nowadays the 'C' section). As
> the weekend approaches, this 'G' section provides listings of performers
> appearing at various venues, often
> with the sponsor. Some shows appear to be sponsored by WFNX, as well as WBOS and
> WODS. Thus, I',
> assuming that in the future, there may still be WFNX-sponsored shows after the
> frequency trades ownership.
> Maybe THAT will in some sense be considered "intellectual property".

Two explanations:

1. Those listings are compiled way ahead of time and I'm not sure when that part of G gets prepared for the press -- probably days ahead of time. And once the listings are edited they're rarely re-edited.

2. Mindich said WFNX would continue its sponsorships and backings of events, such as Best Music Poll, until the sale's conclusion.