National Hockey League says Stanley Cup Final on radio in Boston

Don Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 02:28:41 EDT 2012

> Would certainly like to know the the source of this stat.

Arbitron?

> Satellite penetration is increasing and Ipod penetration is almost
> absolute.

No one is saying iPods aren't popular.  What I said was Satelite penetration
for under 25's is very low.

>>understand the distinction between "most music fans"  and "most music fans
>>I know".

I know the distinction...that's why I pointed it out to you.

> So, all local terrestrial broadcast radio is "bad radio"?
>
> Wow..I didn't say that at all...I said I won't listen to a bad product.

No, what you said was:  "The pathetic product produced by the terrestrial
stations"

> Just dissing the inferior ones which can be a matter of personal
> preference.  Don't take it personally....

Not taking it personally at all.  Trying to get a straight answer as to
which stations from your locale do you find inferior.

> Did you not see my SportsHub reference?  Last time I checked, SportsHub
> was a terrestrial, local offering.

So there is only ONE station in your listening area that is not "bad radio"?

>>Churn is also a component of the economy, which I think you will agree, is
>>problematic. Well-run businesses
>> generally have a plan to retain or regain customers.  Nothing new or
>> isolated to satellite radio.

Yes, it is different:

http://siriusbuzz.com/digging-deeper-into-sirius-xms-subscriber-number-for-q4.php

> You live in Haverhill.  Can you cite the "weak noisy signals" that you are
> referring to?   Can you cite the "poorly produced radio product" that you
> are referring to?
>
> WEEI and WEEI (before they switched to FM....don't listen to them anymore
> except for Celtics broadcasts (Sean Grande is masterful).

If you have trouble listening to this station day or night in
Haverhill....then you need a new radio.

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WEEI&service=AM&status=L&hours=D

>>.I am a fan of radio.....just good radio

There are two types of "fans" on this list and on the RI board.  One are
people that truly love *radio*....not every station appelas to them, but
have a respect for the formats that serve people other than themselves.
People who respect stations and personel that don't appeal to them or their
demographic.  These are people typically who have labored in the trenches.

The second type is the "anything I like is good....and anything I don't like
= bad radio".  Which is understandable for the listeners and consumers of
radio.  They think every station should be playing to their tastes.  They
are fans of what they like...not radio, per se.

Both attitudes are understandable.  I wouldn't expect a listener to Kiss 108
to have much use for WCRB.  Those of us who have worked in the trrenches can
see the benefit of both stations.

>Aging out of the available formats on broadcast radio?  No...

I am going to guess Linda that you are outside the demographic of most
Boston formats.

> Maybe you can tell us what SiriusXM channels are your favorites?
>
> Too numerous to list .. :)

Cop out.  Everyone has their favorites.