National Hockey League says Stanley Cup Final on radio in Boston

D. A. donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Mon Jun 4 23:44:14 EDT 2012

>>95% of the population?  You must mean 95% of the population that still listens to OTA radio..

No, Linda I mean the 95% of all Americans who listen to broadcast radio weekly.

>>The population I know under the age of 25 almost NEVER listens to OTA radio stations.

Well, apparently you don't know everyone under 25 Linda.....while it has definitely declined....there are still plenty of listeners there.

>>  It's satellite or Ipods  End of story.

Sorry, no, not end of story.  Penetration for satellite radio for under 25's is still vvvvery low.

>>I truly can be a fan of radio, just not a fan of bad radio which is all too prevalent and has led to the advent of satellite.

So, all local terrestrial broadcast radio is "bad radio"?

>>I don't think anyone who watches television on slick flat screens in HD wants to go back to watching What's My Line? on black and white tube televisions.<<

The churn factor for SiriusXM is still very high....many people drop it every day.  (until they offer you an ultra discount or free service when you try to cancel.  ;-)

>> And I prefer not to listen to a poorly produced radio product delivered on a weak, noisy signal.

You live in Haverhill.  Can you cite the "weak noisy signals" that you are referring to?   Can you cite the "poorly produced radio product" that you are referring to?

>>I just don't understand the idea that one has to be some kind of "radio
purist" listening to irrelevant stations, lamenting the old days and
damning inventive, innovative technology that has expanded the
dimensions of the medium.<<

If anything YOU are the radio purists, who posted to tell the rest of us how you never turn on terrestrial broadcast radio.

Nobody asked anyone to be a radio purist.  Sat Radio has some advantages, so does regular broadcast radio.  No one is damning the technology.  There are many more platforms available now.  We all understand that.  The only one "damning" a platform was you dissing virtually all local broadcast radio.

>.I am a fan of radio.....just good radio (because how, really, can you be
 a fan of something you don't like?)....<<

You can certainly be a fan of radio you like.  But your over-the-top slam of broadcast radio (i.e...local radio = "bad radio") just makes you someone with limited scope.

Satellite Radio has it's benefits, of course, niche programming.  And for many people who are aging out of the formats available on the broadcast dial, Satellite Radio will help you find the niche of music that appeals to you.

Maybe you can tell us what SiriusXM channels are your favorites?