National Hockey League says Stanley Cup Final on radio in Boston

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Sun Jun 3 18:58:11 EDT 2012

On Jun 3, 2012, at 3:27 PM, Don wrote:

> Another reason why you A<FM broadcast radio is an absolute must for anyone who considers themselves a fan of radio.
>
> Localism.....and to be aware of what 95% of the rest of the population is listening to.

Localism, yes.  But how many AM or FM stations broadcast anything "local" anymore besides traffic reports in drive time or an occasional weather report?  Besides WBZ?

And why would I care what 95% of the population is listening to?  I listen to hear music _I_ like, not necessarily what the masses like.

> Sirius/XM ratings (as a whole) are miniscule...and the formats on Sirius/XM that get ANY ratings at all are the ones that duplicate the broadcast formats available to anyone on AM/FM.

That's the point.  They have so many channels that, by definition, none would get ratings such as AM or FM stations.  They're a subscription service that caters to people who like MUSIC, who are, for the most part, ignored by the lowest-common-denominator, cookie-cutter music broadcast by AM and FM stations.

And which channels, exactly, duplicate the formats available on AM/FM?  The 60s on 6?  That's a format that's sort of available on AM/FM, but you'll hear songs there you'll never hear on AM/FM.

> I don't know how you can be a "fan of radio" and say that you never (ever!) listen to AM or FM broadcast....and don't even need to.

I used to be a fan of radio.  Most of it is unlistenable now.  If I listen to FM anymore, I listen more to the jocks and sweepers and newscasts and turn away when the music comes on.  The opposite of the general public.

Paul