WBZ should not hang it's head in shame

Mark Casey map@mapinternet.com
Fri Jun 1 15:51:41 EDT 2012

The years make very little, if any, difference. With minor changes,
new-weather & traffic are and are going to be similar 20 years ago or 20
years from now. The changes are, and only maybe, in how it's delivered. Not
that a newer delivery method would be better. It might not. It might be like
"New Coke", Quadraphonic,  AM stereo, Or HD radio!

WBZ does a fine job and is superior to any other all-(or mostly)-news
operation that CBS has. WCBS and WINS have a much shorter "playlist". KYW's
not any better. It's been a while since I listened to KNX, but they weren't
any better than WBZ either. The short "playlist" is a disadvantage. All the
headlines in 22 minutes if fine for the very short term listener, and is
probably on viable in the largest 2 or 3 markets like New York and Los
Angeles. There's a significant amount of the audience that listens longer
and likes to hear the special features like those by Keller, Caruthers,
Chayet and others. WCBS used to have more variety, but it seems to have cut
back in the last few years and it is more like WINS than ever, so it gets
hard to listen there for more than the 22 minutes. I think WCBS has hurt
themselves by the narrowness.

Atlanta's WYAY has only been on for a few days and is OK, but it is a pretty
thin second string operation compared to WBZ. YAY's "playlist" is really
short. I would not want to listen to it for more than 20 minutes. Even
though I'd like to hear more special features, and more stories on WBZ, I
can listen to it for a lot longer.

Folks that are interested in news & information are going to listen to WBZ,
no matter what their ages, or whether it's on AM or FM-they will find it.
There's little that any programmer can do to bring in non-news listeners to
an all new station. The format has little to do with grampy. It has to do
with folks that want News & Information related programs. Given the current
trend with all ages and formats, adding an FM similcast would be likely to
increase audience. FM just sounds better even if the program is just voice.
But, dropping the AM all-news would be a big mistake. There are many places
that the FM signal would not work, and the AM would, just like the many
places the AM is unlistenable because of noise and the FM is fine. And,
nearly every person that I know that travels throughout New England as part
of their job--sales, or service, or whatever--listens to WBZ at some point
every week, or every day, or multiple times per day. If WBZ goes to FM only,
then, that audience, and it is significant, goes away.

Switching the oldies from 103.3 to 1030 would be a big mistake. Nearly all
of us that grew up in the 60's-70's-80's would be the target audience and I
know of no one in that group that would go back to listening to music on AM.
After all, today's oldies generation is the generation that made FM a
success.  WODS 1030 would have few listeners.

The best thing WBZ can do is stay with the current format, add FM (not just
HD2--HD radio sounds OK, but coverage is poor and it is a flop, just like AM
HD) if they can find a decent signal, and to get people to listen longer,
increase the number of stories and special features, and add newer features.

Mark Casey