WBZ should hang its head in shame

Paul Hopfgarten paul@derrynh.net
Fri Jun 1 04:51:16 EDT 2012

BTW:

Speaking of Phone Numbers, what's the age cutoff for...

"How many cookies did ANdrew eat?

ANdrew 8 8000 (My all time fav...)

-Paul Hopfgarten
Epping NH

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Vahey
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 1:43 AM
To: Chris Hall
Cc: Boston Radio Group
Subject: Re: WBZ should hang its head in shame

I admit I am a dinosaur.

I remember a time when Boston EVENING newspapers had a shock value -
one afternoon I woke up late to see headline  - MYSTIC BRIDGE
COLLAPSES

When was the last time I woke up to a newspaper headline that shocked
me.......it has been a long time.

Let us been honest here..before 1972 after 1 AM radio was the ONLY
overnight option in Boston and which is why we remember Dick Summer,
Norm Nathan, Jack Lazare and Larry Glick and after 1967 the WRKO
overnight jock,

The best example of this was on late Sunday/ early Monday the audience
Ken Mayer had on WBOS/WUNR.  It was Ken or Norm (WHDH) - and if you
are over 50 and say to a Bostonian WO9-8989 of that age group, many
will remember. There was nothing else on.

The bottom line is that decades ago we had limited options......that
is no longer the case.

There was a time when radio/TV could unify the nation at the same
exact second..... i.e. the end of a sporting event over telco lines.
Today - people watching or listening could be 25-40 seconds behind the
actual moment because of the way signals are decoded. Sadly today the
'instant' moment is on twitter.