How long before this happens?

Mark Connelly markwa1ion@aol.com
Fri Jul 27 20:34:42 EDT 2012

When I was in my teens and twenties, I listened to quite a bit of
contemporary music - no surprise - but I also quite often listened to
tunes which pre-dated me.  The World War II era, my parents'
generation, had no lack of quality music, whether big-band jazz, vocal
crooners, show music, classic country (/ western swing), or roadhouse
blues / R&B / proto-rock 'n' roll.

Good music has appeal whether it was part of your lifetime or from a
preceding era.  Case in point: classical.

That's why I'm always happy to read compliments about WJIB from young
people - students, artists, teachers, engineers, medical professionals
- on the "Friends and Lovers of WJIB" Facebook page.

Just as those of us 50+ aren't completely mired in music of our teen
years, those far too young to remember the Beatles or Nat King Cole or
Benny Goodman may take some time out of their busy days and explore
timelessly-great music even as they also enjoy hip-hop, techno-dance,
and other contemporary sounds.  Quality endures.

A station offering 1930-1970 music should always be an available "menu
pick" even when most potential listeners were born years after that
period.  I hope there will always be intelligent people who'd like to
step outside the narrow format boxes most broadcasters believe to be
commercially viable.  Admittedly it's the internet and satellite,
rather than AM and FM, satisfying most of that demand now.

But WJIB soldiers on and we can all thank Bob for that.

Now back to watching the London Olympics' opening ceremony.

Mark Connelly
H. Shapiro fan-club
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
The format was probably not all that different from Bob Bittner's
format at
  WJIB. Bob tells stories similar to yours about the age diversity of
his
  audience and the loyalty to the format of listeners of all ages. You
will
 also note that, maybe three or four years ago, Bob started using the
  positioner, "The Memories Station." I'll bet he says "the memories
station"
  about eight times in a typical hour--maybe more; the phrase sure has
tested
  well. I gather that the word "memories" does not make listeners feel
old; in fact, it may make them feel young (or at least younger).

 -----
 Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
 eFax 1-707-215-6367

  ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary's Ice Cream"