It appears 101.7 will become WHBA

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Jul 19 06:35:41 EDT 2012

Well, CCU spelled Rumba without an H (after the R), but WHBA has all of the letters of Rhumba (when Rhumba is spelled correctly). The call sign should (at least temporarily) raise the stock of the much maligned (by me as well as by others at Radio-Info.com) Joseph Gallant, who has maintained from the outset that 101.7 would broadcast in Spanish. I wonder what David Eduardo (very knowledgable poster at R-I) has to say about this development.

-----
Dan Strassberg
e-fax 707-215-6367
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob Nelson
  To: Kevin Vahey
  Cc: Boston Radio Group
  Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:11 PM
  Subject: Re: It appears 101.7 will become WHBA

  Mark S was hearing it goes to automated FNX music at 7 till the actual
  takeover (Mon.?) Not sure if there will be a stunt.

  Talent usually isn't informed on what's happening in a situation like
  this (close-lipped on format change)--so he may be playing us for
  fun--but WXKS (AM)'s Jeff Katz said on facebook "it occurred to me
  that there may be too much music on the FM band".
  Uh huh. Yup, he may just playing that rumor around a bit... Similarly
  talent may not find out about a format change--that involves them
  being laid off--until they get that call into the office moments or
  hours before the flip. (In WFNX's case though there was more than
  enough advance notice as well as the opportunity to do "final shows")