War o fthe worlds

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Jul 11 21:09:56 EDT 2012

On 7/11/2012 6:19 PM, Chris Hall wrote:
> I should have said what WAS the the Knox Blaw diamond shaped tower, it was replaced with a self supporter
> and two additional small SS towers were added during the 50 KW rebuild.

The WNEW/WOV/WADO Blaw-Knox on Paterson Plank Road was absolutely not
the same tower that WABC (WCBS) used in Wayne. The tower in Wayne was
much taller - 600+ feet - and it existed at the same time as the much
shorter WNEW 1250 tower was going up in Carlstadt (1934).

The original *transmitter* at the Carlstadt site in 1934 did indeed come
from WABC out in Wayne; it was the 5 kW transmitter that had been
supplanted by the new 50 kW transmitter in Wayne. That probably explains
the "CBS" and "WABC" labels you saw around the Carlstadt site.

(And to head off the confusion that's sure to follow the "WNEW" mention
above: the WNEW calls originally were on 1250, when WAAM and WODA
combined to form a new station in 1934. The NARBA shift in 1941 moved
WNEW to 1280, but it didn't stay there long; in December 1941 WNEW
swapped frequencies with sister station WOV, broadcasting from Kearney
on 1130. The WOV calls stayed on 1280 until 1960 or thereabouts, when it
became WADO.)