103.3 Playlist

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jul 1 00:14:00 EDT 2012

On 6/30/2012 5:02 PM, Lou wrote:

> I agree that it would be silly for stations to announce an alternate
> programming source.  But I have heard WROR occasionally mention their
> "Nothing but 70s" HD2 channel on the main signal.  My point is that a little
> promotion in print, web or TV might breathe a little life into these dying
> outlets.

HD radio seems similar to what FM was in the 1960s, especially the early
1960s.  Some stations just did simulcasts, some did separate programs on
FM, and there were some stand-alone commercial FM stations, but the
advertising for all of the FM outlets was very small.  Apparently they
were all just hanging on, waiting for FM to take off.  Unfortunately,
the stand-alone stations didn't quite make it until then, at least not
without major changes in format.  I observed once on LTAR that of the
three commercial classical stations in Boston back then, WCRB was the
survivor, and I'm convinced it was because for most of that time, they
alone had an AM signal, especially at a time when almost nobody had FM
in their cars.  WXHR did eventually get an AM signal, very late in the
game, but it was a daytime station (now WJIB), which was off the air
during evening drive time all winter.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com