WEEI-FM transmitting in Mono

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Jan 10 21:11:32 EST 2012

"The opposing argument is that people tuning past a large number of stations (in the days of analog tuning, anyhow) were conditioned to stop only at stations that lit the stereo indicator, so being in mono reduced a station's number of casual tune-ins."

Maybe when stereo was a novelty, but it hasn't been a novelty for decades now.  I'm sure you remember the stereo receivers which could be set to unmute only on stereo stations.  Those too are long gone.  Again, I can't speak for the company, but I would bet that wasn't even a consideration.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040