Old oil companies (was: Re: WHDH-TV Weather 1959)

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 01:45:14 EST 2012

Manchester, NH of all places was a test market for the Esso/Exxon switch.
The stations there re-branded a full year before it was rolled out.

In the early 60's I can recall that Standard Oil of Indiana called
themselves AMOCO in New England but in New York City there were AMERICAN.

I can also recall that my dad would drive out of his way to get Gulf back
then. Brand loyalty still meant something.