WHDH-TV Weather 1959

Douglas Broda dbroda@nycap.rr.com
Sun Feb 26 16:08:16 EST 2012

Here's a radio one from WPTF Radio, Raleigh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PUc2REk98o

The radio version aired on WBZ radio before being on its TV sibling, per
an unimpeachable source:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2010/03/14/wbz-newsradio-1030-history-1930s/

Donna's amazing book "Boston Radio: 1920-2010" has a photo of Victor
Best as WBZ-TV's "Your Esso Reporter."

Also, the old Billboard issues on Google Books lend info, including in
the 2/16/52 issue that Esso was placing its Esso Reporter newscast on 5
local TV stations (WPIX NYC, WBAL-TV Baltimore, WTOP-TV Washington, WTVR
Richmond, and WDSU-TV New Orleans. Each was noted to be using local
newscasters. Various later issues list WMCT Memphis; WJAR Providence
(note that the Providence cast was at 11 p.m. and Memphis at 10, but
NO's was at 6 p.m.); WBTV Charlotte; WLWT Cincinatti; WFIL-TV Philly;
WNBT NYC; WSYR Syracuse (as a sportscast, not newscast); WTAR Norfolk;
WSM-TV Nashville. A 4/30/55 article mentions that there were at that
point 20 local Esso Reporter NV newscasts. Wikipedia says it was on WRGB
in my local area.

--
Douglas J. Broda
Attorney at Law

NOTE: I do not regularly read emails from this account, other than those sent to mailing lists to which I subscribe, in order to minimize spam. If you need to reach me other than via a mailing list, please feel free to call me or use my regular business email address, which is the first letter of my first name plus my middle initial plus my last name at nycap.rr.com (which is stated that way to avoid spambots).