WHDH-TV Weather 1959

Kevin Vahey kvahey@gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 10:30:30 EST 2012

In Boston I believe Fred B Cole was the Atlantic Weatherman.

At WMUR the Atantic Weatherman was Gus Bernier. His talent fee alone from
Atlantic was more than what the station paid him.

Atlantic provided the set and everything was handled by a Philadelphia ad
agency N.W.Ayer.

In 1968 there was a problem. Ayer wanted the weather do be done in color or
they would cancel. While WMUR could show film and slides in color they
could not air video tape or live studio. Gus was furious because he stood
to lose a lot of money.

WMUR GM Sam Phillips thought he could trick N W Ayer. During the 1968 New
Hampshire primary both CBS and ABC set up shop at 1819 Elm Street and Sam
begged the CBS people to shoot one weather segment in color and have the
truck record it so he could send it to Philadelphia. It actually worked for
awhile but finally somebody from Ayer was on vacation in NH and saw it was
still in black and white.

Video exists of a similar weather show in Harrisburg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr74zll5ZxE