While wandering through the Upper Midwest.

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Tue Feb 21 01:10:29 EST 2012

On 2/21/2012 12:42 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Pittsburghers will not forgive you for leaving the "h" out of their
> name; Pittsburg is in Kansas (and several other states).

Thank you, I'll try to remember that.  In the same spirit, I always have
the urge to correct anyone who pronounces the "H" in Amherst,
Massachusetts.  Sometimes I give in to that temptation, sometimes I
restrain myself.  Last summer I saw a bumper sticker in Amherst which
said, "Amherst, where only the H is silent."

However, there are a number of other Amhersts in other states, and all
of them pronounce the H, as does the family of Lord Jeffrey Amherst.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856