While wandering through the Upper Midwest.

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Feb 20 23:16:52 EST 2012

On 2/20/2012 2:57 AM, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 01:17:44 -0500, Kevin Vahey<kvahey@gmail.com>  said:
>
>> I am also curious why several stations in North Dakota have W instead of K.
> Because the line used to be the western border of ND, SD, NE, KS, OK,
> and TX.  Hence WOAI, WIBW, WJAG, WNAX, and WDAY, among many others.

There are a number of callsigns in the United States that don't follow
the Mississippi River pattern, for various reasons.  For example, KDKA
in Pittsburg, which so far as I can tell, doesn't follow any of the
rules.  There are also a number of W calls in Texas.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                     617.367.0468
92 State Street, Suite 700          Fax: 617.507.7856