Will 96.9 "Beat" up news-talk to go to music?

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Wed Dec 12 07:58:16 EST 2012

It's not about the format, it's the content.  Using only one locally
originated show,
WXTK still pulls a 12+ rating in their market.

Whether you agree or disagree with the hosts, 'TKK certainly had a far more
compelling line-up 5 years ago then they do now.  Eagle and Braudie used to
have their idle banter limited to a one-hour segment from 12 to 1, now they
own the morning.

The comedic antics of Barnicle and Lobel in late morning was replaced with
Doug ("Who the heck is he?") Meehan.

While Severin certainly was a loud-mouth (putting it nicely), he was getting
the ratings until he went over the edge.  No one can blame station management
for canning him, but Michael Graham, who replaced him, seems most of the
time to be focused on trivial local issues.  He'll spend an entire
show talking about
how some local selectman has it in for his neighbor's pet goat.  When Graham
first came to the station his topics were at a much higher level.  I don't know
who made the call to change the overall range of topics, but it doesn't seem
like that was a good idea.

Curiously, RKO has a 3.2 shared to TKK's 2.8 - RKO finally overtook them in
November.  Should I note that TALK1200 went from a 1.4 to a 0.6  since they
went to all-comedy?

On the music side, KISS, JMN, and AMP pull a combined 17.2 with KISS and JMN
taking most of it and AMP a distant third (and actually below TKK's ratings).
I know, I know, it's about demographics - but does TKK really think it can do
better going urban?

-Bob