Rush into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Blaine Thompson irw@well.com
Tue Dec 11 15:07:21 EST 2012

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hmv1N8krBCPxjCqhmviVOr2qLvxg?docId=0681ddfdc9a748968cbe0550d76def86

Excerpt: Rush, one of the most-played staples of classic rock radio, gained entry following its first appearance on the ballot. But the Canadian trio became eligible in 1998 and was repeatedly left off the list, to the great consternation of its legion of fans who cried bias against prog rock. Heart also waited a decade to make it on the ballot, gaining entry during its second appearance.  After years of disappointment, then disinterest, Rush's Alex Lifeson said the band now feels "wonderful" about its entry into the hall and is especially happy for its followers.  "First of all it's all water under the bridge and it was a very tiny bridge," the 59-year-old guitarist said in a phone interview from his home in Toronto. "I think our fans are more upset than we were because they feel a real bond to this band and it's been an important part of their lives in some form, and to be snubbed was snubbing them at the same time. ... Perhaps there were times when I thought if this ever happens I'm not going to bother going, or who cares or whatever, but at the end of the day positive karma is an important thing and this is an important thing to a lot of our fans and people we know."

(Thanks, Donna!)

- Blaine