WPRO Blaw Knox self supporting towers

Chris Hall chris2526@comcast.net
Sat Aug 18 04:57:39 EDT 2012

During the late 90’s when I last visited WPRO I noticed that the current AM towers were mounted on one corner of the bases of
what are definitely the cement structures designed for Blaw Knox self supporting towers, the exact same as poured for WCOP in Lexington.
If you look on the WPRO home page it brings up Google maps with a perfect view of the old tower bases as the are configured today, being on 630
those self supporters must have been huge. Was the change to guyed towers a result of Hurricane Carol in 1954? I doubt they were on the
Wampanoag Trail during the Hurricane of 38. From what I understand WJAR was in Rumford in 38. Anyone have the story behind this.