1200 stunting as Gaffe 1200

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Mon Aug 13 16:16:22 EDT 2012

I'll second Dan's impression and add a little more.  I could
take about fifteen minutes of Matty1200, then I had enough.

(1) I think a certain part of seeing a comedy act is, well,
    seeing it.   It's not the same listening to it on
    low-bandwidth crackly static-filled AM radio.

(2) A large group of people listen to news everyday and this
    might explain why they listen to talk/news radio.  I
    don't know anyone that watches/listens to/follows
    comedy everyday; but maybe that's just me.

(3) While listening to news/talk, the issues are current and
    changing.  Listening to previously recorded comedy
    routines would seem to get stale.  (Why doesn't music
    get stale?).  Music doesn't require as much attention
    as listening to talk.  While some songs may stand out,
    other songs are just background (especially on WHBA).

If this works, more power to them.  I don't see it doing
any better than what they had in Talk1200, which was
about even or maybe a little better ratings-wise than the
Spanish format.  It seems like they should have at least
1200 run out through the election while a few more people
might be following politics.

-Bob