1200 stunting as Gaffe 1200

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Aug 13 11:15:12 EDT 2012

Hi, Kevin. Thank you. I remembered and sent off a message a couple of minutes before I received yours. Looks as if my message hasn't gone out to the list yet, though. It's gonna appear that I sent my message only after you jogged my memory and I didn't have the courtesy to say thank you. I was a big fan of Marcia's. Big loss to comedy and radio fans in New England.

-----
Dan Strassberg
e-fax 707-215-6367
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kevin Vahey
  To: Dan.Strassberg
  Cc: A Joseph Ross ; boston-radio-interest@lists.bostonradio.org
  Sent: Monday, August 13, 2012 10:52 AM
  Subject: Re: 1200 stunting as Gaffe 1200

  Dan

  You are thinking of Marcia Masters - hard to believe she has been gone 9 years
  http://www.meatballmedia.com/marcia.htm

  On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Dan.Strassberg <dan.strassberg@att.net> wrote:

    Well, the C in WRCA stood for Comedy. WRCA on 1330 in Waltham (NOT the same calls when they were on 660 in NYC) stood for Radio Comedy and Arts. It was an imaginative and occasionally quite entertaining format. The air staff included some really brilliant young talent. I wish I could remember the name of the young woman who did AM drive. She died (of cancer, IIRC) not long after the demise of the format on 1330. I believe that, prior to WRCA, she had done stand-up in Boston and elsewhere and had also done quite a bit of V/O work.

    You can bet that CCU's version of a comedy format will take many fewer chances than WRCA's did. CCU has a reputation for playing it safe with their on-air product. If they stick with comedy cuts recorded by only the best known and highest-paid talent (which is what I expect of CCU), the format will become stale and will be pulled in most markets within a year or so or a bit longer.

    -----
    Dan Strassberg
    e-fax 707-215-6367