WNAC 1200

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Thu Aug 2 11:51:42 EDT 2012

<<On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 06:28:03 -0400, "Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> an application for 1200, Sheppard would have been trying to get the FCC to
> break down the 1200 clear channel, just as it later did with two other such
> channels, 680 and 850, which, when broken down, became the home of two AMs
> licensed to Boston. Since all three frequencies (680, 850, and 1200) are now
> home to 50-kW stations in this area, we know that Sheppard's idea was
> technically feasible--just 60 or so years ahead of its time.

680 already had a full-time class II in Raleigh when WLAW was granted
night operations, and if I remember correctly 680 was a I-B channel
anyway.  850 was the bigger deal, but it was broken down in Cleveland
first -- in fact, it was the "network/monopoly" rules that forced
NBC's hand: under the new rules, NBC would not have been allowed to
keep WTAM because there were too few stations in the Cleveland market,
but by allowing a full-time 850 to come on in Cleveland, NBC would not
be forced to sell WTAM.  (Both 850s ended up affiliated with
American, formerly NBC Blue.)

-GAWollman