WNAC 1200

A Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Aug 1 23:57:14 EDT 2012

On 8/1/2012 12:04 PM, Donna Halper wrote:

> On 8/1/2012 11:16 AM, Jim Hall wrote:
>> In perusing old Broadcasting magazines this morning, I was intrigued
>> that in
>> 1947 the then WNAC 1260 requested a move to 1200 kHz, 50 kW
>> directional from
>> the FCC. The request was of course turned down and they bought WLAW 680
>> instead. I am trying to imagine WRKO 1200 jingles now.haha.
> John Shepard 3rd complained bitterly about 1260, which WNAC was moved
> to in 1928.  He tried unsuccessfully for years to get a lower
> frequency on the dial, and ironically, never lived to see it happen,
> since he died in 1950, whereas the move took place in 1953.

I understand why 680 was much better, but.maybe people out there could
indulge this non-engineer a bit more and explain why was 1260 that bad
and why would 1200 have been that much better?

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.|92 State Street|Suite 700|Boston, MA 02109-2004
617.367.0468|Fx:617.507.7856|http://www.attorneyross.com