WEEI-FM 93.7

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Sep 8 15:46:26 EDT 2011

>Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 20:01:30 -0400
>From: Kevin Vahey <kvahey@gmail.com>
>To: Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com>
>Cc: bri@bostonradio.org
>Subject: Re: WEEI-FM 93.7
>
>I figured it would be AAF they would kill but they
>must figure 103.7 will handle the southern part of
>the market

93.7 is their most competitive FM signal against "The
Sports Hub" WBZ-FM within the Boston metro. I think
that is their primary concern, more than which music
format was sacrificed.

The 97.7 transmitter is closer to Boston proper, but
the signal is a lot weaker overall than 93.7. 107.3
remains primarily a Metro-West and Central MA signal
despite any past attempts to make it a Boston signal.

As for music formats, WAAF actually has a heritage of
sorts as a rock station, and is the only contemporary
mainstream rock station left in the market. "Mike FM",
though it did fairly well, had a lot of overlap with
Classic Hits and Classic Rock stations as well as AC
and Hot AC stations. Though it was an odd mix at times
there wasn't really much music that was unique to the
market, despite any claims otherwise.

EP