EAS in Mass

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Tue Oct 25 17:07:07 EDT 2011

"Weekly tests originate with the station/cable system, not with the EAS people.  So the blame here is squarely on Comcast, unless they are originating from the station that you are watching on Comcast.  I know from my former employment at a Boston TV station that the general manager at the time got quite upset that an EAS test was aired by Comcast during the first segment of the 11 PM news on the first day of sweeps a few years ago, and probably a few less-than-nice words were exchanged between him and someone at Comcast."

Wrong party to blame, and it's not Mark Manuelian's fault either.  Blame the FCC.

First:  All weekly tests must be run on random days at random times [47 CFR §11.61(a)(2)(i)(A, B & C)].  Burying them overnight consistently = a hefty contribution to the federal treasury.

Second:  On cable systems with over 5000 subscribers, all channels must be interrupted simultaneously for all EAS tests, per 47 CFR §11.61(a)(2)(i)(B).  Cable systems with fewer than 5000 subscribers get away with doing the weekly tests on just one channel.

Comcast is only doing what they are supposed to do.  No matter when the tests are done, someone will be ticked off.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom New England
20 Guest St / 3d Floor
Brighton MA  02135-2040