WQPH Correction I Sent And Reply From Lowell Sun

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Oct 25 12:11:46 EDT 2011

Dan said--
>> Every field has its own lexicon; the polyglot of "members-only"
>> languages seems to fulfill a human need to be members of a group from
>> which non-members are excluded.

and Garrett added--
> However, the metric system is not one of those things.

Yeah, but as your friendly neo-Luddite, I was never taught the language
of engineering.  I learned it from hanging with some engineers while I
was a consultant, but I still don't understand how some of the stuff
works-- I just know the words to use when asking an engineer to help
troubleshoot something.  Ditto for computers-- my husband repairs them
for a living, but as a user, I can't tell you why or how things happen--
I just know how to beta test software and find the problems, but as for
fixing them, not so much.  And to this day, even with my PhD, I have to
use a calculator to figure out kilometers or such measurements.  But the
greater issue is our educational system, which does not place enough
emphasis on math & science, and these days, mainly teaches kids to
memorize for standardized tests.  I see the results of that at every
university where I am teaching.