Legal IDs and shared-time stations

Bob DeMattia bob.bosra@demattia.net
Wed Oct 5 13:26:20 EDT 2011

> > I'm also pretty sure that the FCC would NEVER approve the call letters
> <> of "KFKU", for obvious reasons.

This reminds me of a story I heard a while back about an amateur who was
randomly assigned the call "WA1FUC".

He phoned the FCC and asked if they could please issue him a new callsign.
The nice lady on the other side of the phone said something to the effect of
"What's wrong with the call you have, it's only the first three letters?"

To which the callsign holder responded "Yes, but when I operate on CW, I
send the letter K (CW procedure meaning "over") after my callsign".

The woman said "I see your point" and the ham was assigned a new callsign.

-Bob