The sad, unwarranted decline of rock music on FM radio.

Dale H. Cook radiotest@plymouthcolony.net
Wed Nov 16 15:02:23 EST 2011

The primary key to making a voicetracked shift sound live is very
simple - treat it as a live shift. Each track should be recorded in
one shot - no re-recording and no editing of voicetracks. The best
local announcers who I have worked with, in terms of making a
voicetracked shift sound live, have always done exactly that, back to
the days of pre-recording tracks on tape. The mistakes are left in,
because in a live shift you cannot backtrack to correct errors, you
can only correct them on the fly. The announcers who I have worked
with who re-recorded tracks, sometime many times, have not, in
general, sounded as fresh as those who excelled at recording each
track but once.

Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html